[CentOS] DHCP without network access

Tue Jan 17 21:18:55 UTC 2006
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

> It does if you have a 'retry' value assigned in /etc/dhclient.conf,
> however this file doesn't exist by default. I'm not sure what it does
> without this file, but I'd gather from your experience, it's nothing
> good.

I've read through dhclient.conf and I haven't found anything which would
appear to govern what I think is happening - 'retry' value included. But
maybe my interpretation is incorrect.

Here's what happened again:

a) client boot
b) get DHCP - success
c) a lot of time (days) passes with DHCP renews
d) --- DHCP server is broken ---
e) DHCP renewals fail (?)
f) DHCP lease times out (?)
g) IP address is deconfigured (?)
h) --- DHCP server is repaired ---
i) nothing happens...
while I would expect:
i) after sometime the 'n'th periodic DHCP retry finally reacquires an IP
address...

[the retry statement has a default of 5 min, and even 24 hours haven't
helped...]

Cheers,
MaZe.