[CentOS] ruby on rails

Thu Jan 19 06:36:03 UTC 2006
Dan Wright <dwright134 at gmail.com>

On 1/18/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Top posting is bad on mailing lists mkay?
>
> On 1/18/06, Dan Wright <dwright134 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1.8.4.tar.gz
>
> Building source on an rpm based distribution is bad mmmm'kay
>
> It doesn't play nice with rpm/yum because there are no rpmdb entries
> for software installed from source. It makes updates tricky, and can
> have unexpected consequences depending on what is linked to first,
> path entries or overwritten files on update. It makes software audits
> more complicated in production environments. Etc,etc, etc. It's just
> not a nice thing to do to your server.
>
> </soapb
>
> --
> Jim Perrin
> System Architect - UIT
> Ft Gordon & US Army Signal Center

Is this better?  I apologize for my blatant disregard for proper mailing
list etiquette mmm'kay. I guess we could also argue that all the white space
in your post is a waste of bandwidth, but I degress.

Well anyways.....  Thank you for bringing to my attention that a newer
version of ruby exists for CentOS.  I was not aware of that fact.

Dan