[CentOS] install won't boot

Thu Jan 19 18:54:30 UTC 2006
Miskell, Craig <Craig.Miskell at agresearch.co.nz>

> > I think I saw this many years ago when dabbling with building my own
> > installation from source/scratch.  If my memory serves, then what
> > you're missing is /dev/console.
>
> How would I know?  How would I fix it?  When I use knoppix the /dev
> system is completely empty because it wasn't used to boot the system.
Pop in the CentOS cd, when the boot prompt appears, type "linux rescue".
Let it boot, answer the questions it asks in whatever way makes you
happy (let it find your installation and probably don't turn on the
network).  When you're at a root prompt,
cd /mnt/sysimage/dev
and then
ls -l console

If it says there is nothing there by that name, create it:
mknod /mnt/sysimage/dev/console c 5 1

Type "exit" to leave the shell and reboot, remove the CD and see what
happens when it boots this time.

Craig
sender immediately.