[CentOS] System hangs silently

Thu Jan 19 19:22:15 UTC 2006
Mickael Maddison <centos at silverservers.com>

> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 09:11 -0800, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Fong Vang wrote:
>>
>> > Did you just ended up running without hyperthreading?  Did you ever
>> > find a solution?  It seems an awful waste if you can't use it.
>>
>> I'd have a hard time calling a performance hit of no more than 10% to
>> 15% (and typically much less than that) an "awful waste." :-)

> exactly ... hyperthreading is mostly "hype" ... and very little
> "rthreading" :)

I've heard a lot of criticism on hyperthreading on various lists.
While I haven't actually measured the performance of a machine that
has it enabled vs. disabled, I have noticed that the same machine with
hyperthreading enabled responds much faster to SSH logins etc. when
the machine is under heavy loads.  Given that I've had no problems
with using HT, I'm happy to have it.