[CentOS] recompiling kernel for centos 4.2 x86_64

Thu Jan 19 21:15:37 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> I'm trying to add the xfs and reiserfs module (the centosplus kernel
> package has an unsupported which I don't want to use).  I realized
> that it was you who packaged this unsupported kernel.  How did you go
> about adding the module?  The procedure I used to add these in CentOS
> 4.1 i686 doesn't seem to work.

Keep in mind that the xfs modules in the default kernel you're
rebuilding.... well, they suck. This is why there's a custom xfs
kernel module in the dev.centos.org repository. The stock XFS module
will foul things up nicely for you, as there are all sorts of flaws in
it as well as things unsupported that are generally required for rhel
kernels (4k stacks anyone?). I would REALLY have to advise that you
use the unsupported kernel that is provided. The one you're building
seems to be causing you a fair amount of grief, and you haven't even
got it installed yet.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT