[CentOS] Website running slow and Timing Out, but at random...

Fri Jan 20 22:09:37 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

The best way is to find out what the problem actually is. Have you looked
at /var/log/httpd/error_log and related logs?

What about MySQL? When it's timing out, what's top report? Does the site ping
properly when these failures occur?

Your question is sorta like going to a mechanic and saying "My car sometimes
doesn't run - what's wrong with it?". Apache/MySQL don't just quit working
without a very good reason - stock CentOS 4.2 install will handle mid-level
traffic (many millions of hits per month) on commodity hardware with
virtually no configuration changes or performance tuning, so problems like
you describe are most certainly due to a problem, usually hardware.

-Ben