[CentOS] RFE: centos-announce subject line rearrange

Sun Jan 22 12:00:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 22:35 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> >> as i was one of them who suggest a separate list i remember:-), but i
> >> don't think anyone has a regex filter on CESA number! so if you'd like
> >> to keep it my 3th suggestion don't change anything. does anybody has any
> >> kind of filter which break/should have to change if we use the:
> >> ------------------------
> >> [CentOS-announce] CentOS 3 ia64 kernel - CESA-2006:0140 Important
> >> security update
> >> ------------------------
> >> style? ok i can write such a filer but any _real_ filter?
> >> yours.
> >

> > Well actually, seeing as my filters only exclude what they understand
> > (and figure out to be uninteresting) and let through everything else -
> > any change in the header would result in them breaking and having to be
> > fixed-up.
>
> can you tell me the real filter? since i do not realy belive it should
> have to change:-)

Regardless, we are working on an automated system to generate the
announce messages.

There was a lot of forethought (and discussion) that went into designing
what went into the SUBJ line.  Different fields for our automated
program, etc.  The decision is made and been in place for a year, I
don't see how it would change now.

If we move the "package name" before the "Distro" (for example), then
someone else is going to say ... Hey, I can't see if this update is for
CentOS 3 or CentOS 4 because it is now shifted to the end ...

If we remove the list name from the SUBJ line (to make it smaller) then
people are going to say ... Hey, my filter works on the string [CentOS-
announce] being in the subject, why did you remove it ...

If we move the ARCH (i386, x86_64, etc.) people will say:
Hey, I have more than one arch and my filters put these in special
places, why did you change it.

-------
The bottom line, people have taken the current way we announce things
and written programs to interface with it and push the announcements
into other places and things ... we are not going to change it so that
more of it can be seen in a preview mode of a specific mail client :)