[CentOS] Arguments to continue using it

Mon Jan 23 13:12:16 UTC 2006
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 14:04 +0100, Dominik Składanowski wrote:

> > The arguments they gave to me were, what happen if redhat close the
> > base packages, they don't have to release them, but just to the buyer,
> > and we can't buy the distro, there are others distros like debian that
> > is totally free, and without dependencies of proprietary industry.
>
> To be honest I was anxious about that too.
> Take a look for a case of SuSE Linux Enterprise Server. Why Novell
> don't make available SRPMs the way RedHad do?

Novell has traditionally been a proprietary solutions provider. They
prefer keeping things close to their chest, even if it's a running
chainsaw. RH has a tradition of helping out where they can and letting
people do what they like.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://centos.ivazquez.net/