[CentOS] Self-signed certificates

Tue Jan 24 02:51:16 UTC 2006
Jeff Lasman <blists at nobaloney.net>

On Monday 23 January 2006 05:44 pm, Thomas E Dukes wrote:

> I'm not trying to be cheap but this is a crock!  128 bit is 128 bit!
> Browsers should be able to recognize the encryption method, not the
> name.  I mean, that's what its all about.

Hmmmm... You've lost me again <frown>.

If you mean cert distributors, you can buy certs for about $10 from
GoDaddy, and yes, browsers recognize them.

If you mean the browser should recognize the cert as a cert and not care
about the name it's issued for, that can't work because the purpose of
a cert is to guarantee you're talking to whom you think you're talking
to.  So the domain name has to be in there.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA  92408