[CentOS] hosts fail to negotiate 1000Mbps speed

Thu Jan 26 01:54:56 UTC 2006
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Bruno S. Delbono wrote:
> * on the Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 05:40:41PM -0800, Akop Pogosian was tippering:
>
>> I am trying to connect two workstations (CentOS 3&4) directly using a
>> straight through cat 5e cable with a crossover adapter on one of the
>> ends. Both hosts have gigabit-capable ethernet card. According to
>> lspci host 1 has:
>>

> IIRC, one does not need a crossover cable to connect between two gigabit
> capable hosts.
>
> You can give it a shot.

Perhaps I'm just dense, but how would two ethernet cards talk to
eachother over a straight ethernet cable?  I don't profess to be an
expert in gigabit ethernet protocols, but I believe it HAS to be a
crossover cable if you want to directly connect two hosts.
  If that's not the case, someone please correct me.

Best regards,