[CentOS] hosts fail to negotiate 1000Mbps speed

Thu Jan 26 02:21:08 UTC 2006
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

>> IIRC, one does not need a crossover cable to connect between two gigabit
>> capable hosts.

Agreed I think gigabit ethernet adapters _have_ to be autosensing of MDI
(normal) or MDI-X (crossover) to be considered gigabit capable (ie within
specifications).  I expect the crossover adapter may be causing enough
interference to stop 1gbit from working thus resulting in merely 100
mbits.

Furthermore it is entirely possible that it's a 100mbit only crossover
adapter: it might not be crossing all 8 lines since gigabit uses 8
lines and not 4 like 100mbit...

Cheers,
MaZe.