[CentOS] Volume of patches for CentOS vs Fedora

Fri Jan 27 13:57:23 UTC 2006
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 05:00 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
> >RHEL only gets security updates between update releases. Since RHEL
> >update releases correspond to CentOS minor versions,
> >non-security-related updates usually only occur once every 3 months and
> >in one fell swoop, not piece-by-piece as in Fedora.
> >

> Thank you.  So, am I correct in saying that every 3 months, the packages
> in the updates repo get moved to the new main repo, replacing the old
> versions, plus bug fix releases get added to the main repo at the same
> time.  Then the updates repo starts off empty again and new packages are
> issued to it for security reasons only?
----
yes that is a good understanding of it.

The other responses also provide good explanations but I would like to
add the important distinction from a 'users' standpoint.

The most used 'desktop' applications are typically much newer in Fedora
than in CentOS. For example, openoffice is version 2.0 on Fedora-4 where
it is 1.12 on CentOS-4. This is significant as there are more features
in 2.0 version but it is a bit more bloated because of it. Thus the
Fedora-4 installation will probably use more memory in exchange for more
features.

I get the impression that you might have caught that from your original
post where you stated "One of the things the server will be serving is X
desktops so there are some advantages to Fedora." I don't know if you
were planning on using the LTSP system and if so, you might want to
preface the same question to their list.

Craig