[CentOS] Unknown Files in /tmp

Sun Jan 29 17:18:30 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 1/29/06, Mark Sargent <powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp> wrote:
> Mark Sargent wrote:
>
> > Jim Wildman wrote:
> >
> >> Of course /tmp is a scratch pad.  Here is what I would do
> >> 1) run rpm -Va | grep bin to see if any binaries have been changed

> Below is the man page for vbox. Interesting that I'm experiencing
> problems, and this has been changed, apparently. Thoughts?
> Over-reaction, and nothing to stress about? Cheers.

The files you listed don't appear to be anything to worry about in /tmp

Basically you're running X (xses-foo is an x session file) and using
something which uses gconf (could be gnome or a gnome related
application)and orbit. This is perfectly normal system activity.
Actually, you don't seem to list as much as I'd expect to see. People
that use screen will have entries in there for screen sessions, gaim
drops files in there, etc.

It's nothing to worry about. If you're REALLY concerned, you can put
/tmp on it's own partition and mount it noexec, although this can have
some unexpected side-effects (with cron) that you'll want to be aware
of.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT