[CentOS] resuming FreeNX sessions

Mon Jan 30 13:08:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 22:46 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> I've been running a FreeNX session for several days.
>
> During that time, I have occasionally lost the connect and when I
> re-establish the connection, it resumes where I left off and it was
> really nice.
>
> Tonight I lost the connection and when I reconnected, it started a new
> session but when I run NX Session Administrator application on the
> FreeNX server, it still shows the session as 'running'.
>
> I really want to re-connect to my other session as that has the editors
> and everything else running and I could terminate it and start over but
> I am wondering if there are any tricks that might be had to reconnect to
> an existing session (I can see the pid for both the current session and
> the session that I would like to connect for example...)

This is the one area that FreeNX has problems in.

The documentation says it will automatically reconnect to the old
session, but for some reason ... sometimes it does not.

I have looked for a way to suspend a running session from the command
line ... which is what you need to do to make the client try to
reconnect to it.  I can't find a way to do that.

I have logged out the the session that did not resume ... and logged
back into the server again and had it resume the next time.  This is hit
and miss, and the only major issue I have with NX.