[CentOS] OT - Linux NAS for Windows Environment

Tue Jan 31 17:30:15 UTC 2006
Troy Engel <tengel at fluid.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> A really nice tool for nightly backups with a history kept on-line
> is backuppc http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/.  It probably

I've played with this a little, and my comment in the negative is that
it's a do-or-die on a whole system. You don't get fine grained control
of exactly what you want (for instance, I may only want /etc/ and
/var/named/ of the DNS/DHCP server, D:\My Documents\ of a shared Windows
PC, etc) and pretty much have to suck the whole thing up.

This really isn't a *snapshot* feature, per se - it's a backup. A
snapshot (should be|is) a lot more space conservative and lean running
that won't affect operation of the NAS in realtime. The hardcore
snapshot feature of NetApp/SnapServer really is great, it's hard to
beat. I may be a linux nut, but sometimes a commercial solution is the
right answer for a specific situation.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer