[CentOS] Selectively updating protected repos

Phil Schaffner

P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Jul 1 13:42:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 19:59 -0400, Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Thu June 29 2006 16:20, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>
> >  I've been trying out the protectbase plugin for yum, and haven't yet
> >  determined the best way to selectively update a package.  E.g. I'd
> >  like to mark the base repo as protected, but get the latest firefox
> >  from the centosplus repo.
> >
> >  What's the correct incantation for this?
>
> Goto your /etc/yum.repos.d and edit CentOS-Base.repo and do the following;
>
> under [base] add
> exclude=firefox
>
> Under [centosplus] add
> includepkgs=firefox

But - this will effectively exclude all other centosplus packages.
May/may-not be what was wanted.  I've also played with protectbase and
found it difficult to find the right combination of protect=0/1 and
include/exclude to get the desired behavior to allow some packages from
add-on repos.  Eventually ended up with protect=1 for all the repos I
wanted to use which kind of defeats the purpose.

Phil