[CentOS] Kernel-utils stupidities (readahead and cpuspeed)

Simen Thoresen

simentt at dolphinics.no
Mon Jul 10 20:08:41 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I think I've spotted a few stupidities (bugs) in the current version of
kernel-utils (kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.80). I'm sure these are all propagated
from upstream, but I hope someone could have a quick look to verify this and
see if we either can push complaints upwards, or provide local fixes.

The kernel-utils package provides several 'kernel-type' functions -
readahead and readahead_early and also the cpuspeed have a few problems;

readahead 'reads ahead' (stats to copy to cache for speedy access?) the
files found in /etc/readahead.files. While most of these files are various
images and common binaries, some are libraries which have been replaced by
newer versions, thereby reducing the usefulness of readahead.

Readahead.early uses a different file (/etc/readahead.early.files) to cache
useful system libraries, including a few kernel modules - for the
2.6.3-2.1.238.2 kernel.

Both readahead and readahead.early are installed as disabled. chkconfig
lists them as 'off' in all runlevels.

Worse, cpuspeed.
This is from an Athlon64 system, so it is possible that this behavior is
different on non powernow-k8 systems.

On the CentOS4-x86_64 kernels, the cpuspeed-drivers are built into the
kernel. Here, cpu speed-management works, as the
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver -file exists (tested for
in /etc/init.d/cpuspeed). On CentOS4-i386, the powernow-k8-module is not
built into the kernel, so the above test fails, and the cpuspeed startscript
exits.

There seems to be a plan for this. The /etc/cpuspeed.conf file can specify a
DRIVER variable, but no attempt is made to insmod this, so even if this is
set, cpuspeed still fails. A simple fix is to check for the presence of the
above /sys entry, and if that is missing, modprobe $DRIVER. Without this,
cpuspeed will never work on my systems.
Does it work elsewhere?

Yours
-S