[CentOS] Speaking of 3Ware/RAID/SATA/9550SX...

Mark Schoonover

schoon at amgt.com
Wed Jul 12 17:16:00 UTC 2006

I just built up a server running CentOS 4.3, and trying to boot from a 3Ware
9550SX-16ML, 16 port card. This system has 9x500GB drives, AMD Opteron, Tyan
K8SD mobo and 1 GB of ram. I downloaded the latest (9.3.0.4) driver from
3Ware, and after a couple of botched attempts, I got CentOS installed. In my
two botched attempts, the problem was X hanging during the formatting of the
drives, so I switched to another virtual screen while formatting took place,
and the system didn't freeze.

My problem now is the system won't boot. I know this is not exactly a CentOS
problem, I'm just hoping some kind sole would help me outta this overworked
fog I'm in. When the system tries to boot, the cursor just sits there in the
left corner of the screen flashing. Nothing happens. I am probably missing
something very simple, that will cause me great public embarrassment, but I
really don't care right now.

Yes, I set the bios to boot from the 3Ware card, and CentOS install did show
grub stage(1) and stage(2) getting installed. After that, I'm not exactly
sure where to look. I googled, and went through the 3Ware KB, but not much
luck there...

Thanks!

Mark Schoonover
IS Manager
American Geotechnical
V: 858-450-4040 - F: 714-685-3909 - C: 858-472-3816