[CentOS] VMWare disaster recovery?

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Mon Jul 17 18:22:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 07:53:21AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The procedure you use with windows is to install the disk driver it
> will need under vmware before the copy.  Everything else will
> auto-detect.

good to know, thanks.

> The piece that I haven't been able to match is Windows (server versions)
> ability to convert a standard NTFS disk to dynamic, then add a mirror
> on the fly.  If you didn't install on RAID1 to begin with and remove
> one of the partitions, how do you get a working system to the point
> where you can add a mirror?  You'd probably have a fair chance of
> making things work with an rsync copy while running, followed by
> an rsync in single user mode with databases, etc. shut down, but
> what I really want is a live mirror that would always be up to date
> any time the physical server died.

Ah, i see.  I have read (but not actually tried) that you can convert
a filesystem on a raw device to a raid1 but I can't remember the details.
There were issues with needing extra space at the end of the physical
partition.  I imagine if you partitioned your disk with an extra cylinder
after each partition it would work.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile