[CentOS] TARPIT target in iptables

Sat Jul 8 17:40:17 UTC 2006
Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>

Has anyone been successful at using the TARPIT target in iptables under
CentOS 4?

I am using CentOS 4.3, fully updated with iptables-1.2.11-3.1.RHEL4 and
kernel-2.6.9-34.107.plus.c4

Doing a locate on TARPIT returns:

# locate TARPIT
/lib/iptables/libipt_TARPIT.so

This makes me think that the TARPIT target would be valid, however when I
try to use it, I get the following reponse:

# iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j TARPIT
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

I am following the example located at the Netfilter website for rule
creation:
http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-extra.html#pom-extra-TARPIT

I have *NOT* rebuilt my kernel, or any tools because on the surface, as it
does not appear necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry