[CentOS] File & Print Server Connection

Wed Jul 5 03:57:05 UTC 2006
Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com>

On 7/4/06, Administrator One <admin1 at gps1.us> wrote:
> Barry L. Kline wrote:
>
> >Administrator One wrote:
> >

> >>I have installed CentOS 4.3 final and have configured it for file and
> >>print server. File server appears to function correctly in the windows
> >>environment but the print server mode is not functioning properly.
> >>The printer is an HP laserjet 4P and is stalled and functioning for
> >>print services from the CENT Platform. Although it is set for sharing
> >>and while its icon is shown in the windows environment the call up
> >>requires the driver dialog to appear and selection of the driver and its
> >>installation goes fine, However, while the drivers are installed and the
> >>HP is shown on the Cent platform thedisplay says, "hp on Global-50
> >>Access denied, unable to connect". I have no idea where to go to make
> >>this connection. Please advise any one.
> >>

> >Check your CUPS configuration.  Evidentally you haven't allowed access
> >to other machines on your network.  Either that or you have a firewall
> >configured on your CentOS box and haven't given access to the IPP
> >printing port.
> >
> >BK
> >

> I have no firewall on any systems except the standalone gateway. The
> printer is configured on the local machine (Cent) and set for sharing
> and permission is granted for all. The test page was printed using CUPS
> v1.1.x and the networked module has been invoked. Now on the windows
> machine the dialog continues to state "hp on Global-50 Access denied,
> unable to connect"
> Please advise a correct configuration that will permit the local printer
> on the Cent platform to permit print services to the windows connected
> platform.

Shouldn't be necessary for samba, but for any other remote to access a
local printer you need to modify cupsd.conf to include a line like the
following:

<location>
Allow From 192.168.0.*                      # multiple addresses
Allow From 192.168.4                         # single address
</location>

HTH,

--
Collins Richey