[CentOS] Yum Update

Thu Jul 6 19:25:24 UTC 2006
Gerald <gwichman at gmail.com>

Ya i couldn't find alternative setting for pkgpolicy either though the
more I think about it the less i care. I would prefer it stay set to
newest. That *does* seem to be why i don't see many of the older
packages even though i'm saying to list all.

I find it interesting that a yum update always grabs the newest kernel
regardless of repository or kernel type. e.g. if i run the unsupported
hugemem kernel and a newer one comes out that is supported hugemem,
it'll install that even though it's not the unsupported kernel. I've
also seen it install the regular smp kernel and not the hugemem one
because the regular smp kernel was newer. It seems to only care about
what kernel is newest and doesn't take context into consideration.
Sometimes that'll be from the centosplus repository if i have it
enabled, sometime it'll be from the regular repo.. The bottom line is
it's best to run yum update carefully when looking for a newer kernel
esp if you're dealing with some specific support requirement such as
in my case where i'm looking for hugemem, smp, and XFS support.

Gerald