[CentOS] slightly off topic - virtual PC options

Mon Jul 24 00:01:31 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 18:03, Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:

> On 7/7/06, Sentissi, Mohamed <msentissi at rightnow.com> wrote:
>         I used the VMWARE, and they have a migration tool.
>         Does that work? You need X installed
>

> The P2V (Physical to Virtual) Assistant is for Windows NT, 2000, 2003
> and XP guests only.

The main issue with migrating RH/fedora machines is that
you need the BusLogic driver included in your initrd
image.  Depending on how you make the copy you may also
have to label your partitions to match the names in
/etc/fstab or edit fstab to use partition names. You
can fix the initrd after the copy if you boot the
install CD in rescue mode just like you would in a
real machine, chroot to /mnt/sysinstall, edit
/etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf (depending on
the kernel version) to add:
alias scsi_hostadapter BusLogic
then run /sbin/mkinitrd with parameters to match your
kernel and grub location.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com