[CentOS] Newer version of Gnome?

Wed Jul 26 14:09:46 UTC 2006

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I have 2.8.0 from the base repro.  I am running yumex with the Plus,
>> DAG, kbsingh, and jpackage repros.  None of which offer a newer
>> version of Gnome.
>
> all repo's will stay clear of Base packages, since thats the distro
> really.
Except for CentosPlus?
> And within base there will never actually be an upgrade of that sort,
> the reason its called a Stable / Enterprise distro. So things work,
> unpredictability, for a long period of time.
Don't you mean predictably?  Even if it is not the predictably you are
looking for?  ;-)

But this is something that I understood getting into Centos....
> What is the problem that you are facing at this time ?
In Firefox 1.5 (which comes from the 'Installed' repo even though 1.0.8
is the version on the 4.3 iso), I do not have the choice when saving an
html page to save the complete page (all images and such in a
sub-directory) or 'only' the html page.  I had this option on XP.  Of
course one advantage (but maybe not 'of course') is that I can go back
and delete this sub-directory and all of the files.  If I did that on
XP, I also saw the html file get deleted.  XP has them linked so they
share fate (including copying and moving).

On the gnome-list I was told that the choice is there with Gnome 2.14 on
Ubuntu 6.06.  Thus I suspect it is a Gnome feature.

With the Thunderbird 1.5 (also upgraded from 1.0.8 via the Install repo)
I do not have the Thunderbird icon on an executing copy of Thunderbird,
even when I link the icon from inside the thunderbird program in the
program launcher.

Then there are things that I cannot figure out on Gnome that should
'work' or be there.  I cannot change the program launched via the
applications launcher in applications:///  The changes do not 'take'
even though these files are in my home directory and I have permission
to them.

And I cannot figure out how to have a drawer show text instead of
icons.  And so far I have not found help for that via google searches
(or answers on the gnome-list).