[CentOS] CentOS 4.3 Server spontaneously rebooting (over and over again)

Rob van Eerd

rob at van-eerd.net
Thu Jun 1 12:08:40 UTC 2006

Hi there,

This post has also been posted in the Hardware and General forums but I
thought it might be wise to post it here as well!

My CentOS 4.3 (upgraded from CentOS 4.2 installed from Linux Magazine's
April 2006 issue) server is rebooting spontaneously (over and over again).
It started while I was copying from USB-device (iPod) to another
USB-device (Freecom Portable-Hard-disk) but it happens now even when both
devices aren't plugged in.
I noticed it reboots most of the time during the boot process around the
messages: "Starting udev:" and "Initializing hardware".
I tried rebooting into single user mode without any luck and even starting
with the Installation DVD (from Linux Magazine's April 2006 issue) gives
me the same results.
In doing so I noticed that it took a might long time to load my SCSI
drivers and after removing both SCSI adapters (just connected for oldish
CD- and tape-drives) it got a little better for just a few hours.
Now my system is back to his anoying reboot habbit during the boot-process

I've juggled around with the memory because sometimes the reboot occurred
during initialization of the RAM disks.

I was also starting to think that it may have to do something with
networking activity because when it (only now and then) comes up properly,
I can login (straight from the console) but as soon as I try to send
something across the network (for instance my /var/log/message* files) the
server reboots again.
However removing the NIC (including the configuration) didn't solve my
problem

I've attached my lateste message file for reference. I've managed to get
that off the system using a simple USB-stick. When trying to get it off
using SCP or something alike, my server rebooted.

Can anyone point me into the right direction to tame this beast?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Rob van Eerd
Rosmalen, Netherlands