[CentOS] Received signal 11 during kickstart

Alfred von Campe

alfred at 110.net
Thu Jun 1 14:02:33 UTC 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 17:36, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:22:29PM -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
>> kickstart file via http, but then dies with a "installation exited
>> abnormally -- received signal 11" message.  I've done this
>> successfully in the past.   Can a misconfigured kickstart file cause
>> this problem?  How can I debug this?
>
> In 90% of the cases, a signal 11 means faulty memory.
> In  9% of the cases, something wrong with the processor (usually
> overheating)
>
> 1%: Others reasons
>
> Suggestion: Running memtest86

I must be in the other 1% of reasons.  I ran memtest86 and I also
tried it on other systems.  These are brand new IBM (Lenovo)
ThinkCentre M52 systems with 4GB of RAM.  On all systems it fails
with the same error.  So I ask again, can a misconfigured kickstart
configuration file cause this problem?  If not, how can I debug
this?  How can I capture any logs from the kickstart session?  None
of the virtual consoles appear to have a running shell where I can
access the system.

On a related note, what's the consensus on enabling hyperthreading on
a CentOS system?  Good, bad, indifferent?  The systems will be used
as developer workstations.

Thanks,
Alfred