[CentOS] Assistance with startup script

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 16:12:52 UTC 2006

On 01/06/06, Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
> Could someone give me some assistance in getting this startup script to
> conform to chkconfig and such where the service will start up after
> networking comes up, and then shut down when networking goes away?
> Where all do entries need to be made, and what would they consist of?

On a simplistic level, just adding the chkconfig line somewhere near
the top should do the job.

[wmcdonald at willspc ~]$ /sbin/chkconfig --list network
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[wmcdonald at willspc ~]$ grep chkconfig /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
# chkconfig: 2345 10 90

So, network's starting in runlevels 2, 3, 4 & 5. It's starting with a
weighting, or priority, of 10 and stopping with one of 90.

If you added something like...

# chkconfig: 345 20 80

... after your shabang #!/bin/sh line that should suffice. That would
start your LDM script after networking in runlevels 345 and stop it
before networking's stopped when hopping back down through the
runleves.

I can't recall if you need a "chkconfig --add ldm" but if your
script's not visible in "chkconfig --list" then try it. The chkconfig
man page's RUNLEVEL FILES section should have all the info you need.

If you wanted to go the whole hog you could also look at integrating
your startup stuff into /var/lock/subsys etc. Just have a look through
an existing init script.

Will.