[CentOS] Installing el3 packages on CentOS 4

José Alburquerque jaalburquerque at cox.net
Thu Jun 1 19:28:44 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 6/1/06, José Alburquerque <jaalburquerque at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to install el3 packages on CentOS 4?  I'm wondering
>> because there are some packages on dag (for example ac3dec) that are
>> built for el3 and not for el4.  Is it better to rebuild the source rpm?
>> Thanks.
>

> This is generally a bad idea. If dag isn't building them for EL4,
> there's likely a very good reason for it. Have you considered asking
> on the rpmforge mailing list?

I understand.  I *do* notice that the package I mentioned (ac3dec) has
been replaced by a newer (a52dec) package which does exist for el4.  I
was just curious because I have encountered sort of "interesting"
packages that I might want to try on dag (eg. multi-gnome-terminal) and
are not built for el4.  I will keep what you say in mind.  However, if I
have questions, I'll probably post on the rpmforge mailing list. :-)
Thanks again!

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque