[CentOS] PERL module woes

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jun 2 00:07:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Installing perl modules from CPAN absolute worst possible solution
> and should be used only as the absolute last resort.

When I get to the point that I absolutely must have a CPAN module that
conflicts with or requires extensive tweaking of the system Perl
installation, I fall back on the virtue of laziness. :-)

For me, that means building Perl into its own tree (/usr/local/perl5
or somesuch) and using CPAN to manage it. Scripts using that perl
begin #!/usr/local/perl5/bin/perl and are therefore easy to identify.
It's also easy to tar up (or wrap with rpm) that directory tree for
installation on multiple systems.

The same is true for any scripting language that ships with a
distribution. There are too many system tools that require stable
scripting environments to go messing with them.

That's not to say that you can't do lots of rpm-based installations
into the system Perl tree. It's just that I find it faster -- and
safer -- to roll my own...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com