[CentOS] PERL module woes

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Jun 2 13:21:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 03:19, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 21:04 -0400, Kurt Hansen wrote:
>
> > > I was also concerned that Red Hat would balk at supporting other parts
> > > of my systems if I had deviated from the supplied software. So, it
> > > didn't seem I would be getting any value for my thousands.
> >
> > Yeah. If you don't require the support, it is a shame to waste that
> > money.
>
> Centos is the answer to a lot of problems.  Just not this one
> unless someone were to say, rebuild the fedora FC5 versions of
> apache, perl, and mod_perl under Centos and put it in a yum
> repository somewhere in a way that updates would push
> through for people who want them.

Exactly, and I think we have to 'evolve' from a set of fixed repositories
(in CentOS or RPMforge) to a dynamic range of 'appliance' repositories
that build on top of the base OS and can be used next to the official
repositories.

They may replace (update) core packages or fix things that are known to be
broken to many people. If CentOS (wiki?) is able to funnel and manage
something like this, I'm sure lots of the same cause-inflicted pain can be
transformed into a community of appliance repositories.

If only there would be a good RPM build tool that provide conformance
testing with simplicity.

Kind regards,