[CentOS] centos & mysql

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King at lmit.com
Fri Jun 2 13:46:48 UTC 2006

You need to grant the privs to allow the connection. They mysql homepage
has a set of docs at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. More specifically this
link which talks about setting up the grant tables

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/post-installation.html

You could also use phpmyadmin to have a nice frontend to the mysql
server system (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php).

Some things to consider: (since you said you were a newbie)
1. If no remote apps are going to be connecting the sql server port (ie
only local programs relative to the system), do not open iptables for
the sql server port.
1b. configure the /etc/my.cnf file to tell mysql to use local sockets
and not listen on a port (skip-networking option).
2. When adding users, never grant a user profile in the mysql table any
privs (excluding the default root which you should also rename to
something else) as doing so would allow the user those rights across all
databases. Instead grant users access via the mysql::db table.

Also there is alot of good how-to docs at http://www.hughesjr.com/ for
centos, specifically http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/13/30/Guides

-greg