[CentOS] rpm mgetty (fax)

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 22:15:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 23:54 +0200, anne linux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new on this forum.
> I use sme-server based now on centos.
> Before sme-server was based on redhat 7.3.
>
> With the old version of sme-server, I used mgetty 1.1.33.
>
> With centos, it is mgetty 1.1.31.
> Fedora has mgetty 1.1.33
> The last version is 1.1.35
>
>  Would it be possible to include the version of mgetty (1.1.33) in centos . In fact the version that is include for the moment (1.1.31) misses some important options (faxq-helper). Could you tell me who is in charge of such change in the distribution to ask him?

First, at pleasantly as possible, review the material on the CentOS site
carefully. There you will see the policy is to stay almost 100%
consistent with up-stream. You will also see that there are "add on
repositories" that allow you to deviate from this policy and still have
the benefits of rpm-based package management. I would provide specific
help, but it's against my religion.  ;-)

With this command

    yum --noplugins --enablerepo=\* list mgetty

You can see if any of the additional repositories have a later version.
None do. After reading the material on the home page, you can determine
which place would be best suited for a later version, probably rpmforge.
Then a post to the appropriate project (dag, dries, atrpm,
rpmforge,... ) will likely get your package or at least a reason why
they don't include it.

> Thank you
> anne
> <snip sig stuff>