[CentOS] megaraid problem

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Mon Jun 5 11:17:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 05:27 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 09:14 +0200, Geert Batsleer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install Centos 4.3 x86 on a PE 1400SC but the install
> > doesn't find any HD's.
> >
> > So then I get the option to load a module, so I choose for the
> > megaraid_mbox module for the LSI LOGIC 4CH PERC but my RAID5 still
> > doesn't get recognised.
> >
> > Had the same problem 2 years ago with FC3 wich was due to the megaraid
> > module wich got obsolete in the 2.6 kernel but somebody filed a bug
> > and a driver disk was provided to solve this percy problem.
> >
> > Also tried installing the new shiney Ubuntu Dapper server release, but
> > the install also suffered from the same problem.
> >
> > Could someone provide a loadable driver disk for centos?
> >
> > kind regards,
> >
> > GB
>
> Your problem is that the LSI driver in the 2.6 kernel does not include
> the older megaraid devices.
>
> Look here (and search for megaraid_mbox):
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/release-notes/as-x86/
>
> I don't know if there is a driver that still works, but this device is
> probably supported on CentOS-3.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Normally all PERC 4 and 3 controllers should be supported in CentOS
4 ... Support for older Perc 2 was removed from 2.6 kernels but you said
that you're using a Perc 4 ...
You'd better have a look at http://linux.dell.com in the storage section
about support for your controller in 2.6 kernel ...
Anyway, on the support website for your pe1400 i don't see this PERC
4CH, but other Perc 4x controllers ... are you sure about the raid
controller model you have ?