[CentOS] Swap

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Mon Jun 5 19:42:27 UTC 2006

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>Rodrigo Barbosa wrote on Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:37:26 -0300:
>

>>I keep my swap on, but set swappiness to 0. Been working great that way.
>>

>where do you set "swappiness"?
>

>>PS: I really wish people would stop top-posting.
>>

>>Actually, if someone doesn't trim the quote I *much* prefer top-posting
>>over endlessly scrolling to the end for reading a single sentence or two.
>>
>>Kai

 From what I gather from man swapon, the priority is a value between 0
and 32767, but which field in the /etc/fstab is the "options" field?

/dev/hda5   swap   swap   defaults   0 0
LABEL=SWAP-hdb7   swap   swap   defaults   0 0

Which one do you add the pri=0 to set the swappiness ?

OTOH, if you turn swap completely off and the system needs more memory
than is available, I would assume a kernel panic would ensue at that
point, or something would die.  Just guessing on that part.

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
http://wa4phy.net
Augusta Area Mesonet
cell 706.825.8513 Home 706.868.7253