[CentOS] Swap: typical rehash. Why?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 21:17:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 17:00 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> I can't resist. Read the thread that was pointed to on lkml. ROTFLMAO.
>
> *Real* UNIX addressed these problems long ago. I guess the "Gurus"
> suffer from NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome.
>
> Given a "general purpose" system, tunability is a must. UNIX, as
> delivered by USL in such examples as Sys V, had tunables that let admins
> tune to their needs. A single "swappiness" value is woefully inadequate.

Actually, having these computed dynamically is much better than
having to manually tune them every time your mix of programs
change or you add memory except in some very unusual circumstances
like a server that does a single job forever.  In the general
case consider whether you'd rather hire an expert admin to
keep your system tuned or buy an extra gig of ram and let the
OS figure out how to use it.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com