[CentOS] Swap

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Mon Jun 5 21:22:15 UTC 2006

Max H. wrote:

> Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
>
>> It is kind of interesting, but I never noticed much difference from the
>> default value (thats 60, by the way) until I set swappiness to 0.
>> The difference between 10 and 60 is barely noticeable, tho. You are
>> right on that regard.
>>
>> I have 768MB on my laptop, and I really use it. Meaning spamd, mysql,
>> firefox, openoffice and some nuts and bolts.
>

> I have a ton of stuff running too, I just never seem to fill up memory.
>
> I'll have to give it a shot with setting it at 0 once. Like you said,
> I tried it at 10 and 80, figuring that it wouldn't be much more
> different from 0 to 10. 80 was the last setting I had it on, I must
> never have put 60 to default.
>
> Max

Just prior to the next run of my application, I set swappiness to 0,
turned swap off, then turned it back on after doing a reread of sysctl
stuff.  At first, the system sat quietly running, consuming 1.4G of
memory, then all of a sudden, swap jumped up to 2.2 mb.  It is still
running 1.3g on memory and swap is stabilized at 2.2mb.  Guess there is
something in there that needed more than what memory could afford,
perhaps instantaneously.  Dunno.....  will see what happens during the
night when a bunch of cron jobs run in addition to the system crons.

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
http://wa4phy.net
Augusta Area Mesonet
cell 706.825.8513 Home 706.868.7253