[CentOS] Swap memory: I can't reconcile this stuff.

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Jun 6 01:13:31 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 18:45 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> ><snip>

> > Now, if I treat all those numbers ending in "m" as megabytes, it doesn't
> > take long to see that I've been lied to somewhere along the way. Or
> > alternatively, I'm dense and "Just Don't Get It" (TM).
>
> Executables aren't copied into swap - virtual memory is allocated but
> they page in on demand directly from the binary file.
> So there really
> are megs that could swap in if other portions of those programs are
> executed even though it isn't in the swap partition you designated.

Just to make sure I'm following here. There are still 3 types of program
segments: text, data and bss. Text (and data) never need to be swapped
because they are (theoretically) never modified. Bss may need to be
swapped. Are you saying that what it is showing is what is potentially
available if all swappable memory is swapped out and the "binary" is
also discarded (maintaining only a small stack of program counters and
other stack data)?

If so, it sounds in agreement with what Kai has suggested?

If that is the case, maybe there is nothing to track down? Everything is
operating as intended and it is only that no one has bothered to make it
perfectly clear to the user(s), like me?

--
Bill