[CentOS] Swap

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Jun 6 13:31:15 UTC 2006

Feizhou wrote on Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:54:26 +0800:

> Yeah but with that patch that changed the vm system behaviour, setting
> swappiness to 0 had ZERO effect. The kernel happily swapped out what
> data it could from programs that were running.

But you apparently need some additional environmental condition for this
to happen. I see normal behavior as ever with my 4.3. After boot it slowly
fills up memory until less than 50 MB is left. If the machine is scarce on
memory it even gets almost to zero physical mem left. swap file usage
stays at a few 100k. I don't have desktop machines, only servers. I
suspect that the problematic behavior occurs only when you close
applications. In that case it might swap the diskcache of the closed
application out instead of keeping it in RAM. On a server this doesn't
happen, you have your applications running continuously and no big memory
eaters that don't run all the time - well there are exceptions, of course.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany