[CentOS] NIC bonding on modern Proliants

Francois Caen

frcaen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 17:25:58 UTC 2006

Hello,

Does anyone have bonding working under CentOS on a modern Proliant?
What driver do you use?

My setup:
Centos x86_64 4.3 fully patched on a Proliant DL380 G4.
2 built-in NICs: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit
Ethernet (rev 10)
Using the tg3 driver that came with the OS.

I'm trying to set up bonding between the 2 built-in Broadcom NICs in
active-backup mode with each NIC going to a separate switch.

When I just connect eth0 to a gig port on a switch, both sides on
auto/auto, everything is peachy. But when I fire up the bonding, the 2
NICs seem to fail to get a link. The switch sees the ports as up/up,
but sometime 1000/full, sometimes 100/half. I've tried hard-setting
both sides to 1000/full, using ethtool on the server, no link.

Thanks,
--
Francois Caen, RHCE, CCNA
SpiderMaker, LLC