[CentOS] Inherited an everything box

Ed Morrison ed at morrisonnetworks.com
Tue Jun 6 18:27:28 UTC 2006

<snip>

> Hi -
>
> I've seen this in the past, and I was fortunate enough for the person
> to have used the 'yum group*' commands.
>
> You might be able to get rid of software groups which might contain
> these pieces of software.  Looking for the group* commands associated
> with Yum, and you might get lucky, in the same manner that I did.
>
> Thanks!
> -dant
</snip>

Thanks Dan:

I thought the group commands were what I was looking for but
unfortunately even though yum list the various groups:

[root at xxxxx~]# yum grouplist
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
Installed Groups:
   Administration Tools
   Compatibility Arch Support
   DNS Name Server
   Editors
   Engineering and Scientific
   GNOME Desktop Environment
   Games and Entertainment
   Graphical Internet
   KDE (K Desktop Environment)
   Legacy Network Server
   Mail Server
   MySQL Database
   Network Servers
   News Server
   PostgreSQL Database
   Printing Support
   Server Configuration Tools
   Sound and Video
   System Tools
   Text-based Internet
   Web Server
   Windows File Server
   X Software Development
   X Window System
Available Groups:
   Authoring and Publishing
   Compatibility Arch Development Support
   Development Tools
   FTP Server
   GNOME Software Development
   Graphics
   Horde-Apps
   KDE Software Development
   Legacy Software Development
   Office/Productivity
   XFCE-4.2
   drbd-heartbeat
Done

It doesn't allow for the removal of those groups:

[root at xxxxx ~]# yum groupremove Engineering Scientific
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
Warning: Group Engineering does not exist.
Warning: Group Scientific does not exist.
No packages to remove from groups

Thoughts?