[CentOS] Fedora source packages on Centos -- libtiff again

Wed Jun 7 12:21:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 08:49 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> In my seeking a managable way to build libtiff, on the Asterfax forum
> I got the following recommendation (from another fax user that made
> the move to libtiff 3.8.2):

> Hi Robert,
>
> I have compiled libtiff-3.8.2 from the source package for my Fedora
> Core 4 machine.
> I am not sure about CentOS, but I think you can try to do the same
> with rpmbuild and the source package for Fedora:
>
> - Install the rpmbuild tools in CentOS;
> - Download the source package for Fedora:
> http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/atrpms/src/fc6-
> i386/redhat/SRPMS.updates/libtiff-3.8.2-2.src.rpm
> - Install the source package as a non-root user:
> rpm -ivh libtiff-3.8.2-2.src.rpm
> - Go to your rpmbuild folder: cd ~/rpmbuild
> - Rebuild the package: rpmbuild -ba SPECS/libtiff.spec
>
> If everything goes well, you will find a brand new set of RPM packages
> in the ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386/ (replace i386 for your actual
> architecture if you're not building on i386), which you can install
> with the upgrade RPM command: rpm -Uvh libtiff-3.8.2*.rpm

>  Does this 'look right' for Centos?  If not what do I change?
>
> And how do I get the rpmbuild tools?   yum install rpmbuild  ??
>
> Finally, once I have built 3.8.2, how would I migrate it to other
> systems?

Not totally ... I will example with a non-root user called "builder"

as root:
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

useradd builder

passwd builder

(give builder a password)

su - builder

as builder:

Edit a file called .rpmmacros as builder from builder's home directory
and add the line:

%_topdir /home/builder/rpmbuild

then do:

mkdir ~/rpmbuild

Then start from above with:  Download the source package for Fedora

(you would do everything else ... however you might need to install
several xxxxx-devel packages on your system to meet the build or install
requirements and get a good build or install.

I have built this just now on CentOS-4 and it seems to build and
install.  You are welcome to use it:

http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/libtiff-3.8.2-2/

I don't plan to maintain these on updates, unless you ask me to rebuild
them.

You should be able to install them on any machines as the root user
(from a directory containing the the RPMS):

yum localinstall libtiff-3.8.2-2.i386.rpm

or

yum localinstall libtiff-3.8.2-2.i386.rpm libtiff-devel-3.8.2-2.i386.rpm

(if you need the devel package)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes