[CentOS] Intel Xeon and hyperthreading

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Wed Jun 7 17:13:57 UTC 2006

Another question some of you may help me make decisions on.  I've been
doing some reading that indicates that having HT turned on in this dual
xeon machine might actually slow down the computing process rather than
speeding it up.  I rebooted this a.m., and turned HT off, just prior to
my main application run.  One thing that might be of note, this
application is using OMP for utilizing both cpu's,  and prior to turning
off HT, I had been running the software using 2 cpu's of the 4 that the
OS sees.  I'm waiting on a model run to finish to see if there is any
appreciable difference, but the one thing I do notice right off is cpu
utilization is running close to 100% on both, where before, it averaged
maybe 50% or thereabouts.  Again, sar is showing at last count, 83.56%
utilization for user, 10.27% system and only 0.02% nice.  Idle was 5.74%.

I'm attempting to squeeze every last bit of processing power out of this
machine, and would entertain suggestions on tuning if there happen to be
any types of tuning that would help.

Sam

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
http://wa4phy.net