[CentOS] Simple backup program

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 7 19:19:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 15:10 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> I am looking for a simple backup program that I can use to backup a
> CentOS box to a local tape drive.  Hopefully someone here can give me
> a recommendation.
>
> This is what I need:
>     - Simple launching of manual backups (preferably from the command
>       line)
>     - Ability to span tapes for a large backup
>     - Proper treatment of hardlinked files
>     - Notification via email or similar when it is ready for the next
>       tape.
> <snip>

> Anyone have any suggestions?  I would think that there would be a
> simple program out there to backup and restore from tape without all
> of the extra scheduling and indexing features.

It's been a long time since I looked at them but both tar (short for
tape archive) and cpio have the features you want, IIRC. Cpio is fed by
"find" usually so you can do things like -depth to affect order. I know
cpio has ability for media change prompt at the invoking terminal, I
don't recall if tar does or not.

You'll have to read up on tar to see how it does hard links (I can't
remember) but cpio can do them right.

Caveat: it's been a long time since I used these for what you are
looking at. Investigate thoroughly.

> --
> Bowie
> <snippity, snippity siggity,siggity>