[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Thu Jun 8 12:37:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 07:58 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2006, at 6:57, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> > Smartd doesn't work on many SATA drives ... the libata was written for
> > pata, and it sometimes causes issues.
>
> I disabled smartd.
>
> > If you are not using RAID, you can remove the dmraid package.  Yes,
> > sometimes it can cause issues even if you are not using RAID.
>
> I removed the dmraid RPM and I replaced the SATA cable as suggested
> in another reply, but the problem still persists.  Every 2-3 days I
> get the error in the subject line, and I have to reboot the system.
> I suspect a HW problem, but I've replaced the disk already, and I
> don't know what else to try.  There is nothing in /var/log/messages
> that looks suspicious (actually, there is literally nothing in /var/
> log/messages since Tuesday night until the reboot this morning).
> That makes sense, if the file system is getting corrupted, it can't
> write errors to a log file.  Any ideas what I can do next to debug
> this problem?
>
> Alfred

If this hasn't worked for a long period of time and then just failed (in
other words, this is a new install and has never worked properly) then I
would suspect driver related issues.

I would suggest the following:

1.  Make sure you have the latest system BIOS available from the
motherboard manufacturer.  If you have a controller for the SATA drives
that is not on the motherboard, make sure it has the latest BIOS offered
by the manufacturer.

2.  Make sure you have the latest bios for the hard drive(s) in question
if there are bios updates provided from the hard drive manufacturer
(that is the case with some SATA hard drives).

3. Look in the BIOS for settings that concern the drives (either in the
motherboard or a separate controller) and ensure you understand what
each one does and that they are set appropriately for Linux operations.

4. See if the controller manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer
provide Linux Drivers for the SATA controllers that might be newer than
the ones in the Linux kernel.