[CentOS] Intel Xeon and hyperthreading

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Thu Jun 8 14:18:16 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:

>> I'm attempting to squeeze every last bit of processing power out of this
>> machine, and would entertain suggestions on tuning if there happen to be
>> any types of tuning that would help.
>

> For performance tuning, I usually start with the filesystem tweaks:
> mount ext3 noatime, and changing the commit time from 5 to 30

Jim,

    Would you mount all filesystems noatime, or just those that would
have any effect on operation?  I'm almost positive, there are things in
one directory that are accessed very often, as well as written to every
few seconds.  After reading about noatime, I'm not so positive it would
help, altho I'm willing to give it a try.  Here's what I was reading
from... http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap6sec73.html

> After that I move to /etc/sysctl.conf and tweak the kernel.shmmax,
> shmmin, shmall, and vdso values depending on the application I'm most
> concerned about, as well as fs.file-max.

Any hints on what to look for to determine the best settings?

>> From there I move to the I/O scheduler/elevator for the system. RH
>
> magazine had a decent article about this.
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/008jun05/features/schedulers/

According to that article, I might be better off staying with the CFQ,
but since this is a number crunching thing, I really don't know what to
look for, or where to look to see what really is going on behind the
monitor.  I'm not savvy enough to know what the numerical model really
does in the background is what I'm trying to say.  Any suggestions, or
could I provide more info that might help you help me?

Thanks....

Sam

Sam W.Drinkard -- sam at wa4phy.net
http://wa4phy.net