[CentOS] CentOSPlus Kernel for 586?

William L. Maltby

BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Thu Jun 8 16:06:04 UTC 2006

I have the problem that I almost never throw anything away that can
still be useful. In itself, not bad. Combined with the "World We Live
In" (TM), a "Less Than Optimal Behavior" (SM).

I need some of the features in CentOSPlus kernels for my 586 (K6-III).

1) I don't mind doing it myself and contributing results, if that's what
it takes. Only having LFS experience (rpm nu2me), I anticipate a
"learning curve" and a minimal amount of hand holding. Since I keep
abreast of the lists, know how to Google the list, have heavy
development background and *light* and *ancient* admin (but for my
little nook here), ... (you get it) hand-holding should be very little.

2) My target machine has a minimal (mostly) CentOS 4.3 kept up-to-date
and plenty of HD. Also have a 2.2PR Athlon w/768M DR ram, plenty of hd,
so cross-compile (I don't remember details from my LFS days) is
reasonable.

3) I am already subscribed to the developer's list if that is needed (I
think, don't recall if I saw anything from there).

4) DOWNSIDE (maybe more?) Karnbir might have to tolerate my occasional
short outbursts of humor as they help extend the lifespan of various
pieces of equipment in my little nook. I'll let that go someday when I
have milked it for all I think it's worth. ;-)

5) Additional delay because I'm reading studiously trying to learn
new/updated admin related stuff. It seems that since security became a
concern, the *necessary* bloat to functions is unbelievable (I'd be
afraid to read the estimates of % of budget devoted to security nation-
wide).

6) OTOH (there's always one, eh?) if the walkers-on-water denizens of
the list/project want to make one available, I can keep
learning/configuring my nook and contribute somehow later on.

TIA
--
Bill