[CentOS] CentOSPlus Kernel for 586?

Steve steve27 at cox.net
Thu Jun 8 16:22:15 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:

>I have the problem that I almost never throw anything away that can
>still be useful. In itself, not bad. Combined with the "World We Live
>In" (TM), a "Less Than Optimal Behavior" (SM).
>
>I need some of the features in CentOSPlus kernels for my 586 (K6-III).

I believe that the 686 kernel is compiled with the 586 or 486
instruction set but optimized for i686.  (There is almost no benefit
from using the few new i686 instructions, though a few people still moan
about it.)  A 586 kernel I believe would use the 586 instruction set and
be optimized for an Intel Pentium 1.  I'm not sure how much the K6-III
would benefit from the Intel optimizations.  The K6-III was a superior
chip.  (I really liked my 450, and you gotta love the 3 levels of cache.)

If I were you, I'd just use yum the prebuilt one.

-Steve