[CentOS] custom cd's

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 19:39:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 14:00 -0500, Steve wrote:

> >If you are just going to run as a thin client, why not PXE boot
> >instead of installing anything locally?  The k12ltsp distro has
> >everything canned for that - install it on a server and you
> >are done.
> >

> Because I don't like the way k12ltsp works.  Because it requires PXE.
> Because I feel that certain things belong on the client, and certain
> things belong on the server.

Actually there are several variations, including etherboot floppies
or CDs, or bootable CDs that contain the whole thin client (pxes
and thinstation, I forget which is which, but either will do an
xdm session back to your server - and they work with the k12ltsp
server).

> I've thought about using k12ltsp instead, but somehow it seems "messy"
> compared to what I am doing.

Until there is an update you want on the client side and someone has
to reinstall...

> I believe in server-centricity.  But too much of a good thing can still
> be bad.  YMMV.  It depends on the exact situation and the people involved.

The default k12ltsp way of doing things is with a dual-nic'd server
and clients all on the 'inside'.  However you can set it up to work
on a flat LAN without breaking anything else.  That is, having a
PXE/etherboot setup installed just gives you another option.  You
can still install locally if you want or mix and match.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com