[CentOS] Tape drive throughput

Steve steve27 at cox.net
Fri Jun 9 21:28:38 UTC 2006

>Maybe you should take your time to read the manpage for "mt".
>Also, check the "blocksize" configuration for your tape drive.
>
>I'm not talking about cpio -C or dump -b or tar -b. I'm talking
>about "mt setblk" and "blocksize" for stinit.

I'm quite familiar with mt's man page.   I use 'setblk 0' for my
clients' backups... but for compatibility reasons, not for performance
ones.  (Most OSes know about variable block size, BTW.  Even SCO Open
Server.) I see no reason to turn Bowie's simple question into a "this is
really complicated" answer when it's not.

-Steve