[CentOS] Tape drive throughput

Steve steve27 at cox.net
Fri Jun 9 22:05:16 UTC 2006

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:28:38PM -0500, Steve wrote:
>

>>>Maybe you should take your time to read the manpage for "mt".
>>>Also, check the "blocksize" configuration for your tape drive.
>>>
>>>I'm not talking about cpio -C or dump -b or tar -b. I'm talking
>>>about "mt setblk" and "blocksize" for stinit.
>>>

>>I'm quite familiar with mt's man page.   I use 'setblk 0' for my
>>clients' backups... but for compatibility reasons, not for performance
>>ones.  (Most OSes know about variable block size, BTW.  Even SCO Open
>>Server.) I see no reason to turn Bowie's simple question into a "this is
>>really complicated" answer when it's not.
>>

>Yes, this IS a complicated question. Not because it is "technicaly
>complicatd" but because "many factors affect it".
>
>If you use "setblk 0", you are using "Variable Blocksize". Which
>just makes it more complicated to calculate the throughput, since
>there is no way for you to know what block size will be under use
>in a given moment.
>
>But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Since you say it is not
>a complicated issue, please give us the throughput he is getting
>for this DLT Unit.

Depends on the unit, of course.  If the OS/Software is not delivering
something reasonably close to that in the real world, then you have a
problem.  That's not complicated.

What Bowie asked was not what the rate was, but how he could measure
what he is actually getting.

But I would be *very* interested to know how you could calculate the
total throughput of a random drive if you *did* know the fixed block size.

-Steve